Sunday, January 11, 2009

Kharask's Heroic Build

Another Kharask related post. Feel free to give me advice on this one!

Well, i've been pouring over the books as of late, as we slowly creep in on 4th level. This is a big level for a lot of reasons, the main reason being that at this point in your characters career you have an idea of how you want his general build to be.

My initial idea was to build Kharask as a 2 weapon warlord, focusing alot on feats such as power attack, dragonblood fury, weapon focus, possibly improved charge. This would fit nicely into the paragon path i want to go with which is Battlelord of Tovik. This is a martial one, but not necessarily bravura. It provides allies with attack bonuses and damage bonuses, grants Kharask a bonus to fear and charm saves, and gives him a number of heavy damage attacks. This type of build makes me happy because it gives me crazy damage and makes Kharask out to be a war beast, which i like. My only concern with this build is that i'm a meta gamer, and i want to make sure i dont get in the way of my character. I dont want high numbers and crazy damage to entice me to play this specific way, and make no mistakes, this build at high levels would put some serious dents on high level creatures. (7 melee basic attacks in one round on one creature, for a grand possible total of 14d6 + 80 pts of damage -rough and probably low estimate on the bonus dmg. and thats not including a critical hit) I like the idea of him being able to kick some ass in a one on one fight if he has too, but my fear is i might make him seem too chaotic. He's supposed to be the Lawful good symbol of stability in our party.

I have another idea, actually chris wanted me to go this route early on, but I decided i really wanted the 2 weapon route. I could go a defensive (off tank) route. This route would probably not utilize the battlelord of Tovik paragon path, possibly using the Knight commander path or one in the Martial power book that is like a chosen of bahamut (I figure chris might allow this to be more of a chosen of Tovik since he's an honorable warrior god.) Anyways, in this direction i would choose his heroic build to bolster his defenses, I figure i could take feats to increase his defense by upgrading his armor proficiency and shield proficiency, and switching his weapon from a Maul, to a warhammer. (Its D10 dmg and one handed, so i'd still get a satisfying crunch from my attacks.) I could take the first paladin multiclass feat which would give him a mark (it does char. dmg to the target if it doesnt attack me on its turn, which would work out) and since my guy is religious to Tovik, the whole challenge thing would work and not seem contrived. The knight commander would also allow me to mark additional targets later on, and with the high armor class i could help Erantaelik if he needed to switch out. This might be better suited for Lawful Good, i'm really torn actually, I really love the idea for both. This one would let chris put magical shields in the game too, which he tells me there pretty bad ass, it would also allow me to tote some of the heaviest armors in the game. (i'd probably try to get my armor to plate, but might settle for scale, and def. upgrade to a heavy shield.)

Well, theres still alot of time to decide, but i'd love some input if you guys have any. THANKS!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

my only concearn is that Kharask needs to stay a Leader. A fourth striker would seem a little dedundant imo

Chaosturtle said...

Yeah, i was kind of thinking that myself. Especially now with the rogue in our troupe. I was kind of doing an off striker just so we had a little more damage, but i dont think we need it now. Thanks for the advice sir.

Unknown said...

that being said, I really want you to play the character that you want. I don't want to seem ambivalent about the whole thing, it's just that player enjoyment is paramount to me.

Chaosturtle said...

Nah, Kharask is alot like Urith Konrad to me, I like playing him for who he is, not necessarily what he can do. I think fleshing out his past and present so much has let me get really into him. I think i will do the Warhammer and the shield though. And def. it up.

Unknown said...

thats cool with me. Now I do get to drop magical sheilds in the campaign :)