Sunday, March 22, 2009

Character Ideas

Well, another character related post.

First off, the barbarian thing is a bust. I understand my D.M.s stance on it. I also dont want anyone to get the impression that i'm becoming bored, discouraged or tired of Kharask. Not at all. These posts are proof that I devote far too much time into my hobby. heh. I love the character and what i've put into him. I really just want some help getting the mechanics behind how i'm playing him.

Personality - is fine. Love it. He's stoic and direct. He's honest. He's likeable, and he makes a great leader so far. Its easy to get into his skin playing him and i think i've done a pretty good part getting across his personality across to the other players. The other characters are starting to respond as if they know what Kharask's reactions will be, that always makes me happy, cause i know i'm getting him across.

Story - Very detailed and we flesh it out day by day. Its also becoming complex and multi dimensional. This is due in great part to our D.M. of course, and no doubt many things he has created for us thus far will be used against us down the road, dirty sneaky bastard that he is. Also, i get to make extra story points as we go, lamidons daughter, the dwarven elders, Vadrier's apprentice, and other elements we add by r.p. and chance.

Mechanics - a bit off. His leadership comes into play during r.p and during combat, and thats good. thats the most important part and i full realize this. The good part is, the inspiring leader cant really go bad. All there abilities, utilities (2 healing surges plus double my cha as an encounter. hah), and even daily's and combat encounter powers focus on healing. So no matter what other direction i throw in there i'll still maintain a great leader with the ability to keep my comrades in the fight. The thing i'm having trouble with his his inability to confront his chosen enemy, tiamat. Characters have secondary roles, and Kharask's is striker, more or less, though he has some controlling elements too, but i think that has some to do with my playing style, since i used to be a wizard only player. Now, I eventually will go more of a controlling route, the paragon path i will be taking will focus on multi enemies, it will also allow flight which i think can be categorized as a controlling element. The thing is, i still want something to do against my chosen enemies, an ace in the hole ability, or a series of feats or something that i can utilize when faced with them. Thats what the barbarian idea was, utilizing the rage as a secret weapon so i can break bad ass on a toe to toe fight when faced with blue scales, the exarch, etc. Again, this is a generalization. I'm just looking for a way to make him seem more competent when fighting his chosen enemies, something he'll use when he's faced with them. So what i'm thinking is that eventually he'll be a leader first and foremost, i think secondary he'll probably be controller. Flying and two encounter blast attacks will allow him to help the wizard out when controlling foes, his daily is a blast too. I just want an angle to use when faced with my chosen enemy. So if anyone reading this has some ideas to throw my way, send them over. Feats, Multiclassing, or ideas on dropping certain aspects of him. I'm open for ideas. again, not going to drop the big guy, not disapointed with anything about him, just trying to make him better. =)

thanks in advance!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't want you to take a Paragon Path that you feel limits Kharask but at the same time I want the decision to be based more on what "feels" right versus what is more Meta-game correct.