Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dragon Born Ideas

Ok, this is a character related post.

Well, i've decided on taking the paragon path Scion of Arkhosia. It is a path dedicated to the dragon borns breath weapon, as well as giving the dragon born the ability to fly. The elements of the path arent exactly leader or striker based, but at this point i agree with my D.M. that it would be more enjoyable to simply create a character that made sense. The paragon path fits my designs for him, and will allow my D.M. to create more storylines around his past and his fate.

His concept is basically a self exiled Dragon born seeking retribution for those enemies that wronged him and his people, and to attone for a great sin that he committed. The deeper part of this concept is that he had a destiny he wasnt entirely sure of, that a great leader would be chosen from between him and one other. He believes that his sin was that he killed the one that should have been that leader.

I have a couple of ideas that i was thinking about doing, a few directions to make his transition into the paragon path more enjoyable, and a few ideas to make the way i play him more tangible.

Feats - One thing for sure, i'm eventually going to give up heavy shield. My D.M. has informed me i will be delving back into the heavy weapons department which is fine, i liked heavy weapons with Kharask. Not just for damage, but also the imagery it creates. So, feats. I can take dragonborn feats, I was thinking about the hurl dragon breath, but the paragon path basically gives that to the Scion anyways. Theres the Dragonborns rage feat that gives them a +2 bonus to there damage rolls when bloodied. I like this one alot. I like the fact that dragon borns just go berserk when they start getting hurt. I like putting damage out there, but i dont want to just pile on weapon focus and what not to crunch numbers till i get a billion points. My D.M. is right, our group has gotten into meta gaming a bunch. Dont get me wrong, i like the numbers, but i want them to make sense too. So, the dragonborn rage feat makes sense, he's finding that inner dragon which is what his whole paragon path is about anyways. I was also thinking of Multi Classing feats. Two of them anyways. At first i was going to go with fighter. I liked the idea of off tanking, but with a change in paragon paths it might not be the way to go. Also by dropping a shield it makes it less likely. Lately i've been thinking multi classing barbarian. Theres reasons i'd go this route. One, its directed rage. That really strikes me as Kharask. When first fighting the blue scales in one of our earlier adventures i could see him just giving it his all, throwing his rage behind his attacks and destroy the target of his hatred. Thats his oath after all. I wasnt thinking Baerd rage, but more like a directed rage, something he throws at those he made his oath against. I would have loved to have some kind of ability to do that when faced with that situation, when tiamat sends devils after him, when he's fighting a powerful blue scale or other twisted dragon born, and especially when faced with the exarch. My idea was to take the initial feat, and the one that gave him the daily. That way he would have a rage he could use on a daily basis. Anyways, thats an idea. My big thing is in keeping with his story. I want feats that color in the gray areas, since i'm getting a good grasp of him. Instead of taking power attack, weapon focus and heavy charger to get those points up, i'd like to take things like the barbarian multi class, the dragon born feats to get those points in there. I dont want to get away from being a leader of course, since thats his core point not just as a character on paper, but also as his point in the campaign world.

Anyways, drop me some ideas for feats if you have any, or if you see him using a different direction with his feats. this was a feedback post, so i'd love to hear some!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't really like the Barbarian multiclass idea much. I don't see how it jives with the LG alignment much