Friday, January 29, 2010

A leaf in chaos

(Character related post)

-The following is taken from book 140 of Alvaeth Elethevorath's personal journal-

-written in common- "Our goal completed. A success I would say, though I have some feelings about our accomplishments. Still, I write these words with a profound feeling of satisfaction and relief. My sentiments will become clearer to me ,should I read these words again, if the events taking place during the quest were better detailed."

"To start at the beginning, those I had mentioned earlier left with me from the gate nearest my fathers manner. From there we took a road leading us towards the ruins of North Bank. During this time we encountered rain, though the weather did little to deter me, as my magic kept the elements at bay. Early into our progress we encountered an ogre. These creatures are giant kin, and they are notoriously cruel and greedy. We had little choice but to battle the creature, and I believe we handled its destruction as well as we could. My magic was limited, as I decided to stay at a distance and strike it with simple bolts of force. Vang took the most out of the creature, and recieved the worst from it. I am fairly certain that the half orc had a few of his ribs broken, though he refused rest, stating that we had to accomplish our task within the set time frame. Stubborn, risking his own life for something trivial in the scheme of things. I suppose I have to admire his sense of duty, though I do not respect his lack of wisdom. Still, he was at least tolerable to me that day. Darion revealed a bit about himself. Dark magic forked from him during the battle, though it washed off of the ogre. Still, this magic was nothing i could recognize, so it is quite probable that it was not a spell at all, but a bit of magic stemming from the man himself. Humans are quite odd with how they accept and use magic, so it is possible it is one of the many variations of magic affecting a human. It remains to be seen. From that point we rested, then continued on. Coming to a slight fork in the road, we encountered a group of bandits. Again we fought well, or so it is my belief. I know little of martial ways, but I felt the battle was always in our favor. Lial proved useful this time, and he seems adept at attacking when his opponent is engaged. Still, though his tactics may seem cowardly, they are quite effective. Also, the other warriors present did not berate his methods much, so I assume this is a standard technique used by some smaller soldiers and scouts when engaged with heavier warriors. After dispatching the bandits we came to an abandoned watch tower, there we engaged our courier in some disapointing conversation. It seems the courier had lost the package to bandits, and that he followed them back to a small farm house where he believed they had the package secured. I should note that the courier was not a very pleasant man, and I hope I will not meet his acquaintance again. After a brief bout of arguments, we decided we would move closer to the farmhouse before camping, but that we would not engage them till the morning. Lial however had different plans, for when I awoke he was gone, though he had fashioned a ruse he had hoped would scare off intruders entering the camp. He arrived some time later with information about the house. I used this information to devise a plan, and we set about surprising the bandits in the morning. We did manage to kill the bandits within the house as well as finding out that the bandits had killed the original owners. More death at the hands of merciless men. Getting in the house was also quite the hassle, as Vang became poisoned by a simple lock barring the door. Still, he complained little about it, and seemed only mildly effected. After dispatching the bandits we took some time searching the house, it was in the attic that I found a strange eerily quiet rat in the corner. There was something that drew me to the creature, and it was as still as death until i reached around to pick it up by its tail. At this point it revealed itself as a demon, a Quasit to be exact. My reaction was swift, I threw some magic at it and retreated, falling down the cellar ladder and landing smartly onto my ankle. Broken i'm afraid, but I would have faired far worse if I had stayed with that demon. The others quickly moved upwards into the attic and made short work of the beast, though its poison took its toll on them. After destroying the demon we searched the house over one more time to make certain the parcel was not here. Lial spotted a cellar door to the back of the house, and that turned out to be our next destination. Upon arriving in the cellar we had to dispatch four more bandits, at this point we made the decision to rest, as the cellar was bare, save for a natural tunnel that had cracked into the rear wall. After resting and regathering our strength, we ventured back into the cellar to finish our investigation into the whereabouts of this parcel. The caves were not very large, and after making a few turns we found the leader of the bandits. The leader was a woman, a user of magic, and one that the Order of the Silver Circle refer to as an adept. They are primitive practitioners of magic, though they can still be quite effective. She utilized her four guards as a shield, and used her magic to great effect against us. We prevailed, an obvious statement as I pen these words. The room was a sacrificial room and an altar to something. I do not know if it was to a god or to something else, but it must have had connections to demons. Among the treasures we found the parcel, along with a magic wand. Attached to the parcel was a map that seemed to have a great deal of importance so the bandits. After dispatching the bandits we set about exploring the remainder of the caves, we came across a couple of Dretch which were guarding piles of filth. We finished them off quickly, and made our way to the last chamber, an area where the bandits had been storing there wealth. After clearing the area of anything worthwhile, we left. I made a brief stop to properly cover the original couple of the house. I set them on the floor of there home, side by side, so that hopefully they could find peace in each other, now that there assailants had been put to proper justice. After camping yet again, we made short work of getting back to East Hill. After arriving, we dropped off the parcel and collected our reward. Vang and Lial seem interested in finding more out about the map, and seeking the area out. If asked, I suppose I could offer my assistance again. For now. I need rest. My ankle hurts me badly, for I have not the great health of a Half-Orc."

-Written in Aquan- "The days stream together, but the pain in my ankle grows daily. The house maid says its the process of healing, and that it should take several more weeks to heal fully and properly. I use this time to finish my work on more magic. I was given the scrolls of magic as part of my reward, and my own research has offered me the secrets of several new spells. My book grows in size, and I become anxious. I will need this power for the days to come. I will need this power to swell to greater lengths if I am to protect those who need me. Perhaps I will pen some scrolls down as well, in case more adventure flows to me."

-Written in Common- "No word yet from Phalantar. I hope his travels go well. I had hoped the two of us could enjoy some travel together, but perhaps it is best for him to be on his own as well. I have spoken with father about invoking the rite of Ruathar upon him, but I was chastised for my idea. Father made it clear that Phalantar will not receive the rite unless he wishes to prove himself as a friend to all the elven people, not just a single family. I doubt Phalantar has such lofty goals, but it is well enough that he be welcomed as a friend into our home."

-Written in Elven- "Ti'thi'avara, a young elven lady came to me today with a gift. She said that her sisters had found a sick squirrel and had nursed it back to health, ever since its recovery the squirrel had refused to leave them be, and would not return to the wild. As a gift for my fathers hospitality, Ti'thi'avara offered the squirrel to me. It is an inquisitive creature, and since it has been presented to me, it refuses to leave my side for long, though it has made several attempts at exploring the house. I have expressed a desire to bind it to me as a familiar, and Ti'thi'avara and her sisters seemed overjoyed that there gift was well accepted. I do love my fellow elves. So giving and kind. I can only hope that the power I forge in the future is enough to protect them. More than hope, I will strive to reach a perfection with my power that will ensure it."

-Written in Common - "I bound a familiar to myself today. Its name is Dre'mus, and he is a charming familiar. He has been helping keep my personal journals clean, and has been collecting things for me that it deems as useful. Interestingly enough my bond with him has given me access to his senses, and I find my response time much faster than it use to be. I also jumped at just about every sound for several hours after the ritual was complete. My mother was fascinated by the creature, and seemed genuinely happy that I had taken the time to perform the sacred rite. She also secured me to my room, so as I might give thanks in prayer to Correllon for allowing such a blessed event to occur. She can be quite stubborn on the matters, so I suppose I shall get to my prayers."

-Written in Elven- "My ankle has fully healed, though my father chastised me for taking so long to recover. He needs help tending his many matters, and mother has her hands full as well. My sisters say that I am lazy, though I dont see them helping mother and father very much. I suppose I can lend a hand, now that my many arcane dealings have been taken care of. I wonder if those others I recently encountered are fairing well. I'll have to look back through my journals for there names, in case they become important in the near future. There is always the possibility of that map after all."


(I'll have more soon!)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicely done. I epecially liked the entries on your familiar. I also liked what you have concerning Phalantar

Chaosturtle said...

Thanks! Dre'mus means charming animal in elven. I wanted to give him some back story so he had a bit of personality going in. I'm assuming your going to do the +2 reflx saves or +2 on Initiative for its added bonus. And yeah, I could see you wanted me to incorporate that Phalantar into his past. So i plan on maintaining posts about him.

Unknown said...

The +2 to initative is goos with me.

word verification: presto