Friday, July 20, 2012

The Villain

(Character related post about my new guy)

I suppose it could be said, that at one point I was the hero. What a foolish notion that is, looking back. Were I too start my story at its beginning I fear I would do little to add more color, and simply bore you with unecessary details. So, in this text I pen I will simply supply that detail which is most relevant. I myself was a very confident, very intelligent boy. I was found at a very young age by a traveling wizard, and it was requested that I be sent to a school to get proper training. As my family had a bit of wealth, they agreed to see that my abilities prospered and flourished. My abilities did just that. I have to say my age must have been around 11 when i fully started practicing the arts of magic. I had been in the school for about 2 years prior, but was not permited to test with true magic until I was deemed worthy. Those that did not pass all tests within my school were politely dismissed. It was a small, prestigous private school, but to me, it was my home. The teachers cared a great deal for the students, they tended to our needs, punished us when it was required, and were vigilant on our learning, making sure we practiced constantly, and carefully. At any one time I believe there were never more than 30 students that attended. As students graduated, more pupils were brought in as replacements. The studies, teachers, friends, those were merely flavor to this sad tale, and so, for the purpose of this text, I will not mention them. What is important were the two females in my life. One, Kalisandra, was my rival. She was absolutely beautiful, and aside from me, was the most powerful and noted student. We fought constantly to win against each other, though it was all in good sport. I cared a great deal for her, and I am sure, that she did the same for me. Our feelings however, never got further than friendship, for my heart belonged to one young lady. Celia. She was a student as well, though in all honesty, she never grasped magic as the others did. Still, she was fun, she was beautiful, and she had an innocence about her that one could not ignore. She may not have been the best practitioner of magic, but she was a dedicated student, and after some time, my fiance. We were in love, to say it was the love of the age would be a lie, but we were both happy, we enjoyed the others company, and if we did fight, I couldnt remember much of it. It would have been a pleasant, happy union, but happiness was simply not in our combined destinies. After a time, the elder students, those that were going to graduate soon, began testing our magics in spell duels, getting real practice. All of these duels were watched carefully by the masters, though me and Kalisandra were allowed a bit more freedom than the others. We dueled constantly, sometimes she won, but more often than not i came out the victor. I teased her constantly, but as she was good friends with Celia as well, we always joked it off over some tea or wine. One thing we were adamant on however, was the final duel, the one that would mark our progress within the school. If she won, she would be the top student, if I won, I would get that honor. Both of us studied constantly for it, learning new spells, digging into lore we had not used before, we were determined. Confident, and over confident. We both had been looking into more powerful spells, but neither of us could grasp them, I was determined to pull off a phenomenal magic at the duel, best her, and gain my spot. Well, history will tell that I made my mark that day. The testing area was in a private field in the center of the school. It was isolated so commonfolk wouldnt get spooked, and near the school in case of an accidental injury. Me and Kalisandra faced off. I cant remember much of the battle, so much happened after, but I do remember that she was tactically superior, though my spells had more potency. Still, I remember feeling as if I would lose, so to ensure my victory I began casting a spell that was far, far beyond me. Kalisandra knew immiediately what I was attempting, I saw the shock on her face, then she was frantically waving her hands and telling me to stop. It was too late. The spell backfired of course, a blast of force and flame blew me and Kalisandra to the ground, but more importantly, set the side of the school on fire. Im not sure what was ignited, but before I could even get up from my daze a great explosion blew most of the east half of the school into pieces. All around me I could see flame, and hear screams. I raced over to Kalisandra and dragged her near the grounds well, I figure it would be the safest place. The teachers had retreated inside, im assuming to get the students out the other side and tend to the fire. I raced into the side of the building, I was wounded, but I at least could help quell this inferno, as it was my fault. I saw the headmaster frantically casting magic in the corner, some clay containers had caught fire and he was attempting to use magic to get rid of it. Bunched around him, casting there cantrips to wet the walls and floors to help stop the fire were the other students, and of course Celia. She turned to me, i must have been wounded badly at that point because she looked terrified when she saw me, she started towards me and I reached out to her, but it was all too late at that point. The explosion from the contents of those containers destroyed nearly the entire school, and a few chain reactions afterwards saw to its complete destruction. I didnt see what happened to master, for I was mostly blind and deaf from the bright flash and loud crash of the primary explosion. As I was flying backward, bits of my left leg and arm incinerating as I flew, I saw Celia destroyed before me. A desk hit her in the back, and most of her upper torso exploded in a grizzly mess. Parts of her burning body and the desk slammed against me as well, and I believe that is what knocked me out. I awoke to the sound of more explosions. I dont know exactly how I stood up, but I managed to find Kalisandra in the chaos, and drag her around the main compound and out of the gate. At this point, I vaguely heard the commotion of the world around me, but my reality darkened by the second. The month that followed is mostly forgotten. I was numb. I remember a hearing, and during that hearing it was declared that the explosions were caused by an accidental fire. Me and Kalisandra were the only two survivors.  After that I finished my training under a number of mages, going from school to school to learn what I could, and retrain myself. Who I am now, is not who I was then. At one point, I was the hero. I had found my princess, and was awaiting the happy ending I thought I deserved. But that wasnt the story at all.  Kalisandra was the heroine. I, the villain. I took everything from her. Her friends, her family, her home. By my hands, I ruined her life, and brought her nothing but misery. I never looked for her after I was taken from that place, though I know she looks for me. She will one day seek me out, to bring her wrath against the foul, vile wizard that killed all the hope and innocence in there comined worlds. And I, to you, would not deny my part in this story. For I know all too well, how much a villain I am.

(ill have more!)

No comments: