Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gaming stuff

Well, my first official post should be about Dungeons and Dragons. Right now I'm in a campaign involving a couple of friends. Its pretty good stuff. I have to admit that the 4th edition rules are turning out better than what i had anticipated. I still think 3rd edition is a very playable and enjoyable edition, and would recommend it to any gamer not willing to commit to the new edition.

My character in the new campaign is Arivain, he's a former author, a half elf who's mother is an elven diplomat, and who's father is an accomplished artist. I went the warlock route with my guy, and chose the star pact. We're giving the character a C'thulian style assortment of beings which he derives his powers from. We do not have a campaign name yet, or at least it has not been given to us, but so far we took on a pirate ship. HAH. it sounds funny looking at it, but it was actually a really good start up adventure, and we are now clearing a dungeon of some undead and doing a task for a local merchant. Its very old school, we even had our rogue drop down into a dragons lair on accident, and had to scramble to pull his ass out before he got killed. That was a very nostalgic moment for me. I've been gaming for a while now and i miss more than anything, the days when i was first playing, and only the imagination of our players held us back from what we wanted to do. As we age and mature, so to does our style i think. As a younger player i can still see myself trying just about every damn thing i could think without consequence to the other players characters or there enjoyment. It usually worked out for the best, but i think a greater enjoyment comes from seeing a concept evolve and grow. Well, if any other gamers stumble upon my posts, i would love there feed back. but for now, my little partial rant should be at an end. I'll post soon. =)

2 comments:

Pondrepof said...

Gaming certainly changes as you get older...though I often find it better. But I think the reason I game now is different.. now its an eascape, an exercise in creativity, time spent with close friends, and a good story. Back then it was adventure and excitement, like playing video games in your head...
Heh.. adventure.. huh.. excitement.. a Jedi craves not these things...

Unknown said...

Its funny. I really hadn't thought of a campaign name as of yet.