Sunday, October 12, 2008

Changing Stuff

Well, after some debate we're scrapping the old chronicle and moving on. I agree with this change though, we have two new players, and both are new to the system. so i'm all for it. This post isnt about the change per se, but instead about upcoming character ideas. I have a few. Give me insight as to which one sounds good.

The first is an Eladrin (Silver Elf) Sword Mage. - This is not a recreation of shen, in fact, the idea I have for it is fairly dark. I'm thinking that this guy was a chosen warrior in a small tribe or village of silver elves, and that two neighboring villages of silver elves were at war with them. I was going to say that the fey were using the three villages for different ends, and eventually they simply got in each others way. The fey lords and silver elves came up with an idea, a battle of the three strongest warriors of the villages to decide who would reign. The victor would declare the outcome and future of the other two villages. My character was the decided strongest of the three villages, bred for war and possesing a keen and cool intellect. The other two villages and there fey lords came up with an idea, they played a trick on my character, telling him the sacred battle site had moved. When my character finally figured out the ruse, it was too late, the battle had been fought, his position forfeit, and the fey lords declared that only two villages could survive. When my character finally made it to his home, it was gone. Each and every member of the village killed. The two warriors of the other villages told my character that he was to be banished, and never return. After killing the two warriors, my character moved off into the world, swearing an oath to his now dead fey lord, that he would seek out and kill the other feylords, and every ally they hid. (My idea isnt evil, its just dark. I see a character with a lot of grudge based anger, but still bred to be a champion and defender. Concept wise i was thinking of going all white, and saying that the villagers gave him a nickname once they heard of his bloody decree, a nickname of eons past. The tree devil. Just an idea =)

I know chris wants to see the barbarian in play. So i'm coming up with an idea for that too. My idea for this one is a dragonborn. I was going to say that my character was part of a moving tribe of nomadic Dragonborn that skirted the wastes and badlands. As a youngster his tribe was weakened by gnoll raiding parties, and then finally destroyed by humans which my tribe had preyed upon from time to time. My character and a few other young dragonborn were adopted into slavery. My guy was going to have been trained from an early age as a combatant. I figure if slaves were around, there is more than likely a legal arena type competition, or at least an illegal pit fighting deal where slave owners and spectators can bet on the outcome. I was going to say i was trained by an orc or half orc barbarian, who taught me to harness the wild side of my blood and throw it at my enemies. My character went through gruelling training, and was going to be fairly scarred. My character never had a chance to fight in a pit fighting competition, after he came of age, and was prepared to go to his first fight, the village he was being kept at was attacked by orcs, bandits, or maybe a military force of some kind. In the midst of battle my character freed himself and hurled himself into battle. His mentor joined him in the fight, and the two killed many people that night. When the battle was over, my mentor lay dead, my character then went back into the village where he killed his master, and all those who knew him as a slave. Fleeing possible trouble, he went to more civilized lands to seek a better life, or at least some coin. (This idea is very tweakable. If i use this idea, i think i need to give it more of an edge. maybe add a personal grudge, or make some part of his past more appealing to a life of violence. I want my character to really be ferocious, but still be a valued, if unpredictable ally)

My last idea is a tiefling warlock. My idea is that he belongs to a small selection of tieflings known as chains. Basically, in ages past alot of the demons and devils that plagued his homeland were wiped out, some of the more powerful ones were sealed away. The ones sealed away are in protected sites guarded by tiefling wizards and learned scholars. To make sure there power stays dim, the tieflings preform rituals on chosen newborns, the newborns are then refered to as a chain of "enter specific devil name". These chosen tieflings are then sent out to the world to make a life for themselves, keeping them away from the site is essential, for the link becomes weaker if the host is close to the seal. The life of the chosen is difficult, because they must walk a path away from there homeland, and they are sometimes hunted by members of the sealed devils host, in an attempt to weaken or destroy the seal. I was going to say my character has embraced his power, and learned to harness it. His pact is actually just a manifestation of the sealed power within him. He taps that power and uses it to better his lot in life. He also sometimes gains visions or whispers of information from his host, and he's never heard of that happening before. He thinks it might be because he's embraced that aspect of his existence, but there might be something else to it as well. (I like this concept, it works on a new type of race in chris's campaign world, and it also touches on devilish concepts without going evil. It would be a pretty good way to introduce outsiders of the ilk into the chronicle too, and make for great bad guys later on.)

Well, thats my stuff. tell me what you think!

1 comment:

Pondrepof said...

hmmm.. if you were playing 3.5 I'd say you're crazy for suggesting Fighter-type ideas.. it seems to me you'd get bored playing those types. but in 4e.. things may be different, eh?