Thursday, December 17, 2009

A noble quest

(This is some more details of our current 2nd edition campaign. These are all thoughts and notes from the perspective of my character.)

As promised, Anara came through on her word. She approached me about delivering the recently discovered relic of Gond to an important member of her order in a nearby village. I readily agreed. For several reasons really. First, I should note that a god seems to have his hand in the events, if only lightly, surrounding recent happenings. It would be unwise to heed these possible signs. However, more practical reasons are relevant as well. The coin could be used to better help my needed self sufficiencty, for although my family can accept the burden of my company, I would do well to find a place of my own, and help polish the good name of the silvershields. Also, I find the presence of Anara to be pleasing. She is hard working, and has a studied mind. No mere infatuation I assure you, but I can only hope to be working close to her in the days to come. In the future, should I achieve some distinction and power as a wizard, I would indeed like the support of at least a few churches. Azuth of course, but a god with so much renown such as Gond would certainly help my position as well. I must give some thought into my future dealings with the lady, but at least for now i must say I enjoy working with her on a professional level. My companion Rhyvael no doubt has goals of his own concerning the woman, though I doubt much thought has been put into the consequences or reaction that his advances might cause. Rhyvael of course, did not mind accompanying us on the trek to this village. The coin i think was his true motivation, though i'll not condemn him for his greed. Coin is a necessary and fundamental necessity, especially in my own case. Ferren also readily agreed to help us out, I believe that the four of us work quite well together, so us joining forces again would at least prove comfortable. Anara also recruited a new addition, a warrior named Ebin. Finding his motivation was easy enough. He constantly mentioned the necessity to do good. That helping Anara would be a benefit somehow. A good heart is easily swayed, and i confess, I thought him a bit naive. I also needed to know what kind of person he was, what my charm could accomplish if I needed to use it upon him. Seeing his gear, I offered him coin on the promise that he paid me back after recieving his cut of the payment. He refused. He thanked me for the offer, but wanted to prove his worth. Martyr's, is there nothing potentially more dangerous or wondrous in this world. People that would die for there beliefs can do incredible things. But they need to be directed and used correctly. Too many a martyr dies too soon, and too needlessly. I will keep an eye upon him if I can. After adding him to our contingent, we set off for the village. We tested ourselves fairly early into our trip, wandering into a group of goblins. The others seemed to do there part quite well, though Anara seems to insist on staying near the front lines. Ferren did a good job using bow and blade to thin the ranks. My own spells were able to pin down a small group of the goblins while the rest of the party mad short work of the goblins and hobgoblins. After taking care of them, we moved on, traveling unhindered for a few more days. One other encounter, a brush in with some giant hunting spiders proved trying, but we quickly overcame that as well. On a personal note, my spells were not as effective against these creatures. Though i managed to use them to effect, i'll need to hone better transmutation spells if i am to better aid those around me. After dispatching these creatures we reached the small village.

The village itself was a quaint farmtown. What bothered me was the lack of any form of nobility or royalty. With a known priest of gond here, i would have at least expected some lesser nobles or there cousins to have one or two decent river side estates near the mill, but such was not to be. Still, the village was friendly and welcoming, and although i was a bit out of place, i had to say I enjoyed the tranquility of the area. I did manage to get accomadations from the mayor, and they were quite hospitable. I do plan on mentioning them favorably to my uncle. At least so the mayor can gain face for acting respectably among the high class. The mayors wife was actually from a fairly well known and prolific noble family, and I was quite impressed with how educated and delightfuly her company was. Unfortunately I could not secure Anara's presence with me on that eve. Still, the evening was eventful, and delightful. On the unfortunate side of things, it appears we will be traveling to a possible nest of Hobgoblins and goblins nearby. I have heard the number is great, and i honestly am not sure if our troupe is capable of handling that many. We shall see, but I'll use this to guage the wisdom of Ebin. He knows of the risk, and i was sure to show my reluctance on the issue. Assuming the trek goes how I suspect it will, i'll be able to use this to my advantage at a later time.


(Ok, thats it! i'll have more real soon)

No comments: